If you want to build a great back, it is important to know how to do barbell rows – one of the best back exercises. Barbell rows is mainly a back exercise. Called a compound exercise, it trains many muscles at once. Muscles trained with barbell rows:
How to do barbell rows
- You should deadlift the bar and stand in straight position. Hold the bar with palms facing down or up. Hold the bar with a shoulder-width grip.
- Then lower your torso at the hips, slightly bending your knees. Keep your back straight and lowered almost parallel to the floor.
- Keep your head straight and look forward.
- Exhale as you lift the bar up. Keep your elbows on half distance through the body (not parallel to the bar, and not touching your torso). Keep the weight with your forearms and lift with your elbows. At the end of the upward movement squeeze your back muscles.
- Inhale as you lower the bar.
- Repeat as necessary.
Wider grip places more effort on the outer back muscles. Narrower grip places more effort on the back muscles toward the inside.